Skip to main content

Casually Screaming About Rocketman

Its been a minute. Hi! I have returned. Thank you so much for the well reception of the last post sbout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I was blown away.

Still don't have Wi-Fi. I wanted to add pictures but I couldn't so I'm sorry. I saved so many for this but it wouldn't load.

Today, I'm screaming about Rocketman, a film inspired by the "true fantasy" that is Sir Elton John's life. If your a regular reader of this blog you know I have a soft spot for classic rock and older rockstars. Elton is no exception. I have loved him for as long as I've been alive. I cannot recall a time I didn't listen to his music.

I was excited for Rocketman from the first time I watched the first trailer. I say first time because I showed it to my whole family and then some. I was excited because its a musical movie about Elton John and he's played by Taron Egerton who I've been a fan of for YEARS!

The film chronicles Elton's life from his childhood up until he went to rehab in the 90s. It shows his friendship with his song-writing partner, Bernie Taubin, brilliantly portrayed by Jamie Bell, whom I also love. As well as his first gay relationship with John Reid - portrayed by our very own Robb Stark, Richard Madden - who later became his manager. Bryce Dallas Howard is also in it. She plays Elton's mother.

The cast did an amazing job. Especially Taron. I wasn't surprised. I figured he was a great actor after the six other films of his I watched. Not only did he act, he also sang all the songs on the soundtrack. Yes, the actor actually sang for the character. I wasn't surprised because I love Taron's voice thanks to his role in Sing. I was shocked, however, to hear that Richard Madden sang in "Honky Cat". I think he did a great job for not being a singer. Same for Jamie Bell when he sang in "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". I'm not sure if he's sang beforem I've maybe seen three of his roles besides this one.

I very much enjoyed how the film was done. I loved the musical elements and the storytelling of it. How Elton was telling the story of his life from a rehab support group. As I said, I've been a fan of Elton my whole life. I knew all these songs. I knew some of his life, but not all of it. Obviously it should go without saying that the film was not 100% accurate, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

I will say, I enjoyed looking at the costumes. To see the comparrison photos had me shook. Not old did Taron do a great job, but so did the make-up and wardrobe department for this film. Well, done. I can see this getting an Oscar noms at least for costume design.

Actually I can see this film getting Oscar noms for Best Lead Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Song, Best Costime Design, and numerous others but those are the big ones I'm hopeful for. And I'm confident Taron could win for Best Lead Actor, but we'll have to wait to see. I don't remember how the Oscars work anymore. I used to.

Besides loving the film for good entertainment and giving me more of Taron singing, I want to talk about how important this film is.

This film was released by Paramount Pictures. Paramount is a big studio so that's a big deal that we got a mainstream film about a queer icon. Its not the first. We have Love, Simon and Bohemian Rhapsody, but Rocketman is special. Why? Well, it actually depicted a gay sex scene. No, its not the first, but its one of the first to be a mainstream film.

This film made the gueer story seem normal, which it should be seen as. We are normal everyday people. It normalized a gay relationship while also showing a bit of the struggle Elton endured. Now, please keep in mind that Elton and John's relationship was VERY unhealthy. But I feel like that also helped make it seem normal.

Even same-sex relationships can be problematic. Its not all love rainbows.

I love everything about Rocketman. To me, its the perfect movie musical. Excellent cast. Kickass soundtrack. Amazing costumes. Well-written and directed. I absolutely love it with all my heart.

If you haven't seen it yetn I highly recommend it. It is rated-R so younglings be warned.

I hope this post wasn't too long. I just figured I'd write about this film because I've seen it seven times in the past two weeks.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't