Skip to main content

My 2017 Tony Reaction

The 2017 Tony Awards was the biggest heist in the American history. Children will read about this night in their text books. I don't think there will be any photos in this blog post, since I'm writing it right after the Tonys. If you want to see the full list of winners, you can see my previous post here.

I honestly did not like Kevin Spacey hosting the award show. Don't get me wrong, I really love Kevin Spacey. He is one of my favorite actors of all time, but I did not like how he was hosting. The impersonations annoyed me. I did not really enjoy his intro performance, but it is what it is. I hope he does not host again. Bring James Corden back. Or Neil. You can't go wrong with Neil Patrick Harris hosting the Tony awards!

I never got the chance to get into Come From Away. Their Tony performance was the first one I saw. I really did like the performance, but personally, I don't think I will get into the musical just on that performance.

Sutton Foster was so beautiful. When she came out I was so happy to see her. I love her. She is one of my favorite people.

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Gavin Creel (for Hello, Dolly!)
I love Gavin Creel. He is an amazing performer, but I really do believe that Andrew Rannells deserved the award more. I wanted Andrew or Bran Uran to win this one, but it was given to Gavin. I am very happy for Gavin, but I am heartbroken for Andrew, because he did such a good job as Whizzer in the Falsettos Revival. It was truly a steal.

Lea Salonga introduced Miss Saigon. The performance was interesting. This is another musical I was not familiar with before the show. I am definitely interested in checking it out.

THE FALSETTOS REVIVAL PERFORMANCE! I wasn't ready. I thought I was, but I wasn't. Obviously, if you've seen my "My Top 10 Favorite Musicals" you know, Falsettos is up there in the TOP. That is because the revival cast is so talented and I am in love with all of them, save Anthony Rosenthal. But I am so proud of him! He did such a great job! I am proud of all of them. Falsettos didn't take home any Tonys, but they stole our hearts! And I think that's all that matters. One word to describe it, would be "AMAZEBALLS".

Best Original Score (Music an/or Lyrics) Written for Theater - Pasek & Paul (for Dear Evan Hansen)
Am I surprised that they won? No. Do I think Dave Malloy deserved it more for Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812? Yes. I know I ranked Dear Evan Hansen in my top 10, and Natasha, Pierre, & The Great Comet of 1812 didn't rank, but I really do love it. It is such an amazing musical. Listen to the cast album, if you don't believe me. I have been a fan of this musical longer than. The more I listen to The Great Comet cast album, the more I realize that Dave deserved it more.

Dear Evan Hansen's performance was good. It wasn't over the top. It was "Waving Through a Window", which is their most popular song. I think they could have one another song, honestly. Maybe "You Will Be Found"? Or even "Sincerely, Me" would have probably been a better choice than the same song that EVERYONE knows by now. I believe that Ben Platt is a gift to humanity an we must cherish him. And as much as I think they should have chosen another song, I did sing along and cry, because this song always makes me emotional, because I relate to Evan so much, hence why it's one of my favorite musicals.

I literally listened to Groundhog Day cast album the day before the Tonys, so I wasn't too familiar with it, but I do love Andy Karl. He is really great. I think he performance was great. I'll have to get more familiar with the cast album, but the performance did make me want to listen to it again.

The Hello, Dolly! performance caught me off guard, because I was told there was not going to be a performance from the revival. But I am so glad it happened. If you now me, personally, you probably are aware that David Hyde Pierce was one of my first crushes ever. His portrayal of Niles Crane in Frasier became my mental picture of a perfect man when I was younger. There are still come qualities that stayed. But I really did enjoy his performance. I think he is a great actor and I am bummed that he didn't win the Tony he was nominated for, but Hello, Dolly! did take home the Tony for Best Revival, even though I disagree. I haven't listened to the revival cast album, but I do love he film with Barbra Streisand, an I love the musical in general.

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical - Rachel Bay Jones (for Dear Evan Hansen)
While "So Big/So Small" is an amazing song and she does an amazing job with it, Rachel Bay Jones didn't belt with a banana in her mouth every performance. Yes. I am referring to the amazing goddess, Stephanie J. Block. She deserved that award more than Rachel. I'm sorry. I think this was another steal. Stephanie J. Block's performance in Falsettos was amazing. I only wish the show lasted longer. It didn't get closed down, it was just a limited run. Stephanie should have won. If you've heard her versions of "I'm Breaking Down" and "Holding to the Ground" you will understand why I am upset that she didn't win.

Okay, let me just get something straight. I don't like the Rockettes, personally. I didn't really find their performance appealing. That was until Leslie Odom Jr. came out onstage singing "New York, New York". I love Leslie so much. He's amazing. I was so happy to see him an Cynthia Erivo.

Best Direction of a Musical - Christopher Ashley (for Come From Away)
This was a HUGE shock to me. I was expecting Dear Evan Hansen or Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 to take home that one. But honestly, I'm glad, because I'm sure Come From Away is a really good show. And it annoyed me a bit that Dear Evan Hansen was sweeping the awards,

War Paint's performance was decent. I am not at all familiar with the show, an I personally don't like Patti Lupone, so I don't really have much of an opinion on this performance.

Josh Gad's Hamilton reference was great. Josh Gad is someone I appreciate and I love him.

Best Orchestrations - Alex Lacamoire (for Dear Evan Hansen)
Another win for Dear Evan Hansen. I wasn't surprised. This is another award I think belongs to Dave Malloy for Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812. But I do love Alex, an he's good so I'm not too torn up about him getting it over Dave.

Best Costume Design for a Musical - Santo Loquasto (for Hello, Dolly!)
For this, I was really hoping it would go to Linda Cho for Anastasia, because I grew up with the animated film that the musical is based off and I think the costumes are beautiful and very good. I'm not shocked that Hello, Dolly! won, it is what it is.

Best Scenic Design for a Musical - Mimi Lein (for Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812)
I am glad about this win. I really do like the design of Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 and I can't think of anyone else who deserved the award more.

Best Lighting Design for a Musical - Bradley King (for Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812)
I have not seen Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 so I cannot judge this accurately, but I'm sure it is well deserved.

The Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 performance was, in my opinion, one of the three best performances of the night. It was so energetic and it was just amazing to watch. I have not had a chance of seeing the show. I fell in love with the off-Broadway cast album and now the original Broadway cast album and the performance was great. I love when Josh Groban hugged Dave Malloy and brought him onstage. I have been a fan of Josh Groban for years, and it was nice to watch him perform. I love his voice. Josh Groban is an angel. We do not deserve his talent.

Sara Bareilles came out giving away pie to promote her show, Waitress and it was hilarious. Then Kevin Spacey called Christian Borle, Christian Bor-ell. What was that? Was it on purpose or he just didn't know the right way to say Borle? Also, nearly everyone had an issue saying Brandon Uranowitz's last name. Uranowitz is not that hard. It's like John Travolta's "Adele Dazeem" all over again.

Best Choreography - Andy Blankenbuehler (for Bandstand)
I am so happy that Andy Blankenbuehler won this Tony for his choreography! He is so good and if you saw the Bandstand performance you would agree.

The Bandstand performance was my favorite and it was the one I was most looking forward to. I am a huge fan of Corey Cott and I am very interested in this musical. The music was great. The choreography. I am so in love with this performance. I cannot wait until the cast album comes out so I can enjoy the show finally, since I can't afford to actually see it. But it looks so amazing. I am so upset that they did not get nominated for Best Musical. They did deserve the nomination at least. Laura Osnes and Corey did an amazing job. I really cannot wait for the cast album later this month.

Mark Hamill came out to introduce the in memoriam part of the show. It was nice to see him. But everyone knows they only had him because of Carrie Fisher's death in December.

Best Book of a Musical - Steven Levenson (for Dear Evan Hansen)
I am not familiar with any of the books, but I do think this is a fair win.

Best Revival of a Musical - Hello, Dolly!
I couldn't disagree more. I am so upset that this Tony was stolen from Falsettos. Falsettos is such a beautiful show with gay an lesbian representation. It's about a dysfunctional Jewish family. What more could you want in a DIVERSE musical. Honestly, there isn't anything diverse about Hello, Dolly! I love the cast, but I do think that this was the only award that was not deserved. This year's awards was less about talent and more about popularity, which is upsetting because I do believe that Falsettos deserved to win for Best Revival. I am still very glad that Cats did not get nominated, though.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical - Bette Midler (for Hello, Dolly!)
FIRST OF ALL, I am annoyed by Bette's speech, I am not surprised by her win, because I was hoping for her or Denee Benton. Her speech went on for way too long. I think that she was rude and entitled. She told the orchestra to stop playing when it was their job to play when an actor's speech goes over. And she went OVER by a few minutes, actually. I know in her speech she said that she is privileged, or something along those lines and I couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, I think that she is a very talented person, but her speech was over the top unnecessary.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical - Ben Platt (for Dear Evan Hansen)
Am I shocked? No. Am I happy? A little, but I'm upset because I know that Christian Borle deserved that Tony, too. I really hope that Ben won on his talent alone and not because his show is this season's Hamilton. I was hoping for Christian or David Hyde Pierce, but I knew it was going to be Ben. I am very proud of him. I've been a fan since I saw Pitch Perfect in the theaters with my dad. I am proud of him, and I knew I was going to be happy if any of the five won, including Andy Karl and Josh Groban as well. Ben's speech was adorable and he is an angel. I really do love him.

Lin-Manuel Miranda came out and presented the award for Best New Musical. I was so happy to see him. I didn't know he was actually going to be there, because I know he recently came back to the states from being in London, shooting Mary Poppins Returns.

Best New Musical - Dear Evan Hansen
This award rightfully belongs to Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812. I love Dear Evan Hansen, but I do think that Dave Malloy's musical is better, honestly. It's a stronger musical. It was the musical that was most nominated. I don't understand how Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 recieved 12 nominations, but only won 2 Tonys. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will never not be over this. I was hoping it would be like the 2004 Tony, where Avenue Q barely won any awards, but took home the Best New Musical Tony.

Honestly, I am annoyed that the Tonys is more of a popularity contest. It's not about talent, which sucks. But as long as your show is sold out like Hamilton was last year and Dear Evan Hansen is now, you are guaranteed to take home all of the Tonys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't