Skip to main content

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future.

Man was weird.

Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969.

NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War. I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a great movie. Probably part of the reason I became such a history nerd. Might write a post about the movies that turned me into the history dork I am.

But back to the subject of this post: President Lyndon B. Johnson. Some people read the title of this post and are confused or disturbed and you have every right to be. Let's start at the beginning of his presidency. One of the first things LBJ did was overhaul and expand the phone system in the White House so that he could take calls anywhere. Historian William Doyle claims there were phones "under dinner tables, coffee tables, end tables in bathrooms, and on windowsills." Yes, he took important calls in the bathrooms.

Doris Kearns Goodwin, a presidential historian who was a White House aide during his presidency has spoken about her memories about him telling her to follow him to the bathroom to continue a conversation. There is also a story she shared about a story LBJ told her about his National Security advisor, McGeorge Bundy. During one of these bathroom meetings, Bundy stood in the furthest corner of the bathroom with his back to the president. After LBJ told Bundy to "come closer" the advisor back up to LBJ. Kearns quotes LBJ as saying "I thought he was going to sit on my lap! Hasn't the guy ever been in the army?"

I doubt an actual photo of LBJ conducting one of these meetings exists, but above is a screenshot from the 2014 film, All the Way where one such meeting is portrayed. LBJ is portrayed by Bryan Cranston and Senator Hubert H. Humphrey Jr. is portrayed by Bradley Whitford.

Joseph A. Califano Jr. who was a member of LBJ's cabinet also recalls the president's odd unbothered nature in Robert Dalleck's book Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1961-1973. Califano remembers, "He barked orders at me over the phone at dawn and after midnight in the formal setting of the Oval Office and as he stood stark naked brushing his teeth in his bathroom".

Another excerpy from Dalleck's book:

Outlandish comments and behavior were other parts of Johnson's calculations. Urinating in a sink, inviting people into the bathroom, showing off a scar, exposing his private parts...For Johnson they were meant to shock and confuse and leave him in control.

Some people believed that by LBJ inviting people into the bathroom while he "sat on the throne" was a power move. Used to put others in an awkward position so that he had control over the conversations. Others posit that he just didn't want to stop the discussion. Either way, I think most if not all of us can agree it is weird.

If you found this post interesting at all, I highly recommend giving the 2014 film, All the Way a watch! It's about LBJ's tumultuous relationship with Martin Luther King Jr. (portrayed by Anthony Mackie) regarding the passing of the Civil Rights Act. Also shows a shift in politics regarding the southern states.

Thanks for reading my little history ramblings! If you have a weird moment in history that interests you feel free to drop it in the comments! And check out my other "That Time..." posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'