Skip to main content

Fangirl Friday: Bucky Barnes

 Heyo! Happy Friday! Another week conquered. This week's Fangirl Friday is very special because it's the first to feature a fictional character. This week's spotlight is on my comfort character, Bucky Barnes. I didn't even have to save any new pictures for this post because I have a designated Bucky Barnes folder already loaded.

Disclaimer: I've seen every portrayal of Bucky within the MCU EXCEPT the What If.. series. I only watched the first episode of the series. So if you're not caught up to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier at least, there will be spoilers.

If you know absolutely nothing about MCU Bucky, but would like to read about him I suggest the fan wiki page for him. It is probably my most revisited page on the interwebs.

My love for Bucky started when I first watched Captain America: The First Avenger. If you read Fangirl Friday: Sebastian Stan you know I was a fan of Baz for years and he's mostly the reason I watched the first Captain America movie when it came out. In all honesty, I don't know if I would love Bucky as much as I do if he was portrayed by any other actor.

I really started writing summaries for the role he played in the movies he was in, but then I realized it would make this post much longer than I want it to be. So instead of going through every important moment in the character's life onscreen, I'm going to go over my favorite Bucky scenes.

The moment the man showed up in uniform and defended his best friend, Steve Rogers, he stole my heart. I absolutely love his friendship with Steve. I wish we could have seen more of their friendship before the events of Captain America: The First Avenger, but I will take what I've got. The "I'm with you til the end of the line" scene encompasses how much love Bucky had for Steve.

Let's not forget the iconic "no, not without you" when Steve tells him to go while they're still in the HYDRA base.

I do believe that Steve and Bucky are soulmates. Whether it's romantic or platonic is up for debate. No matter what, those two had each other's back through everything. And this franchise put them through a lot.

My least favorite Bucky scene is when we see him being tortured and having his memory wiped in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I hate the scene because the man is in distress. However, it's one of if not his most popular scenes just because he's shirtless.

On the other side of that, one of my favorite Bucky scenes is when he finally is free. The codewords that turned him into The Winter Soldier no longer have any control over him. I cry so hard every single time I watch that scene.

I would pay good money to have seen more of Bucky recovering in Wakanda. We didn't get enough of White Wolf.

I was over the moon when The Falcon and the Winter Soldier show was announced. I tuned into Disney+ every single week. I have since watched it multiple times. The show is about him trying to find his place in the world now being in the foreign future and trying to move past the things he did as The Winter Soldier. I had hoped that Bucky would end up with Sam Wilson's sister, Sarah. 

My favorite Bucky scene came from the show, which is seemingly Bucky finding his place with Sam and his family.

NOW there is something I have to get off my chest. If you follow me on Tumblr, you've already seen me rant enough about this. I don't like how they ended Steve's storyline in Endgame. I hate it actually. I don't think he should have abandoned Bucky since he knew what it was like having to live and adapt to the future. I am very much planning a post about why I hate that plot choice. But I'll never get over it. I am forever bitter at Steve's abandonment.

I cannot pinpoint exactly why Bucky is my comfort character. He definitely lives rent-free in my head. I haven't stopped thinking about him for eleven years, but I will admit, I am not looking forward to the rest of his stay in the MCU. I've got intense Marvel burnout following Endgame. I'm barely hanging on as it is.

To be completely honest, I am looking forward to the MCU killing Bucky off. It'll hurt something awful. I am looking forward to Marvel releasing Sebastian Stan from their grip. From the rumors I've heard about the Thunderbolts movie, I am not looking forward to it. Allegedly, he's going to have a romantic storyline with Yelena Belova, which angers me on more than one level. I'll watch the movie for him and Yelena regardless, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

He is the fictional character I've written the most about. If you're interested in checking out any of the fics I've written about him, I'll link my 5 favorites below. Or if you'd like to see the whole list, go here.

  1. Bucky's Final Amends - Bucky crosses every name off his list, but begins having nightmares reliving the night the Winter Soldier murdered the Starks. How would he make amends for Howard and Maria when Tony was gone?
  2. Positive - Sam finds a positive pregnancy test and confronts Sarah and Bucky about it.
  3. Getting Alpine - Bucky surprises his wife with a kitten.
  4. Admit - As part of his amends, Bucky begins spending time with the widow and daughter of one of the Winter Soldier's victims.
  5. Love is Here to Stay - Bucky and his partner, Grace, are expecting. Follow their journey through furnishing the nursery, doctor visits, and parenthood.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't