Skip to main content

Defending Jesse St. James to the Death

I've already done my casual screaming about Jonathan Groff. You can read it here. Today, we're going to talk about the character he played in Glee. That character is my favorite character in Glee: Jesse St. James. I'll try not to make this post too long.

People look at Jesse as the villain of season one. I understand why they feel that way, but I disagree. I know. If you believe him to be the villain, you'll point out when he and the rest of Vocal Adrenaline eggs Rachel in the McKinley High parking lot which can be seen here:

Rachel says "Break it, like you broke my heart." And Jesse responds "I loved you." And then breaks the egg on her head.

Jesse really did love Rachel. I know he only got involved with her initially to set her up and to try and destroy New Directions from the inside, but he did end up falling in love with her. I, personally, believe that she deserved the egging.

Mostly because she broke his heart. Let's not forget the "Run Joey Run" video and situation. Rachel was playing three different guys: Jesse, Finn, and Puckerman.

Rachel Berry broke Jesse's heart. More than he broke hers.

Let's go on to season 2!

So Jesse shows up and accompanies Rachel to prom. Nothing wrong there. Finn keeps trying to antagonize him and at prom, Finn pushes Jesse. Jesse pushes back. I don't think Jesse did anything wrong here.

I know you'll probably bring up when he made the New Directions members audition. Part of this was out of bitterness against Finn. I know. But I think he genuinely wanted to help the New Directions be good.

Yes, he did choose Rachel. But he's in love with her. And as much as I love the whole Glee cast, we know Lea Michelle is more talented than most. He came back to Lima for Rachel. Yes, he's biased for choosing her, but he loves her.

At Nationals Jesse says, Finn and Rachel's kiss cost New Directions the competition and he's not wrong! He was jealous of Finn, sure, but the kiss did cost them the competition. I don't think he did ANYTHING wrong in this season. Really.

Season 3!

Okay, I have to admit that his feelings towards Unique are foul and wrong. I am not going to defend his behavior because I don't agree with it.

He does congratulate Finn on Finn and Rachel's engagement. I imagine that wasn't easy because he still loves her.

He convinces Carmen Tibideaux to give Rachel a second chance and that is ultimately how she gets into NYADA - besides her insane talent.

Jesse doesn't really show up for seasons 4 and 5.

In season 6, he shows up again and they sing another song with Rachel like in season 2. They discuss the Broadway role she was offered. He wants her to be successful and tells her she doesn't need college. However, she tells him she turned down the offer to go back to NYADA.

At the end of season 6, which is the conclusion of the show there is a time jump. Rachel is a surrogate for Kurt and Blaine's baby and she is married to Jesse.

She is married to Jesse.

He finally got what he deserved after loving her for six seasons. And yes, I am well aware that if Cory Monteith has not passed away, that would have not been the ending.

But I am glad that's how Rachel got her happy ever after, after Finn.

So in the end, I still stand by the fact that I don't think Jesse St. James is a villain in Glee. I think from the point of view of the New Directions, he definitely seems like one. I can defend every "wrong" move he's made - except for how he treated Unique.

I hope this post wasn't too long!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think he was as evil as some believes but he was not what Rachel needed. She needed someone to ground her. Jesse and she were too much alike and I think their egos would clash and cause divorce.

      Delete
    2. I agree! They both want to be the best, but they both also have similar beliefs that only one can be better than the other. So that would definitely cause a rift in their relationship. I don't know if it'll lead to divorce because they'd both be worried about how the world perceives them. They'd be like a lot of old Hollywood relationships. On the outside they look fine, but they're both miserable on the inside.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't