Skip to main content

My Thoughts on the 2018 Grammys - It's Late and I'm Sorry

I know this post is about 2 months late but better late than never! Also sorry for the lack of photos.

I was trying to keep track of my reactions to everything, but after a while, I got too invested, so if I missed anything, I'm sorry. And if the "timeline" is off, remember it was two months ago. I am a mess. I'm sorry.

I'll start with my reactions to the performances and then we'll talk about the winners.

Kendrick Lamar opened the show with an amazing performance. I think he set the bar pretty high, but since he was first, I think he got overcast by the rest of the performances because I don't remember anyone talking about the performance, but I really loved it. He did so well. His album, DAMN. is one of my favorite rap albums of all time.

Then Lady Gaga performed. Back when I was in my old college, my roommate was obsessed with Lady Gaga and when Joanne came out, that is all they listened to. So I got well acquainted with the album. I loved her performance. It was beautiful and wonderful and I was in love.

For some reason, my "notes" say "I lost my heart to John Legend", which is true. I think he just presented, but yes. I love John Legend so much. He is so good.

I really wrote "Rihanna is still fine as hellllllll" - which is a fact. She is gorgeous and I worship the ground she walks on.

"Sam Smith still owns my heart". I can still recall the first time I heard "Stay With Me" on the radio. And his performance was so good. Oh my gosh. He is just so good. Too good.

Not the biggest fan of Little Big Town so I'm not going to comment on their performance.

Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee did so great. I am so glad they didn't have Bieber because I hate his version of "Despacito".

I contemplated writing this part in all caps, but I decided not to.

So Donald Glover performed "Terrified" from his album, "Awaken, My Love!", of course. He is so good. I am such a big fan of his. He wore a white suit and I gotta be honest, he looked good. He performed with JD McCrary, who is going to play young Simba in the Lion King live-action film coming out next year. I am more excited to see it now. This was my second favorite performance of the night, but I am also biased.

I love P!nk so much. She is so good. We really do not deserve her. I enjoyed her performance a lot.

Okay, before I go on my rant, let me say I love Bruno Mars with all my heart. He is my favorite performer of all time. He is one of my favorite singers. HOWEVER, I don't think this performance was one of his best vocally. His voice wasn't to the best of his ability. I know he could do better vocally, I thought he lost his voice and I was really on mom mode half the night, wanting someone to get him some tea. But I have to say his dance break was the best one he's done so far. I am still so obsessed with it. For the first two weeks after the Grammys, I posted the clip of his dance break every single day. It's so good. AND SO WAS CARDI B! I love her so much. She did so well. I'll say it again, I love Bruno. I just think this performance wasn't his best vocally, but physically he gave it his all. That man has too much talent for his own good.

Kesha's performance was my favorite of the night. It brought me to tears. I watched the show with my grandmother and she didn't fully understand why I was crying, so I had to explain to her what happened to Kesha, and what I understood was the background of "Praying". She still didn't understand why I was crying.

I thought Bruno had gotten tea for his throat becase he had a cup that he handed to his girlfriend when he got up to accept one of the awards, but it was probably booze.

I love Ben Platt, but I was not the biggest fan of his performance. It wasn't his best work. And that's saying something because I think Ben Platt has one of the best voices in the world.

I am not a fan of Patti Lupone so I am not going to say anything about her performance.

That's pretty much where my "notes" end, so let's talk about the winners!

We'll go from least to most important in my opinion.

For Best Music Video I was bummed that Bruno didn't get a nomination because I think his two music videos for his album were really great. I wanted Kendric Lamar's video for "Humble" to win or Logic's video for "1-800-273-8255" to win. I thought Jay-Z's video for "The Story of O.J." was going to win.
Kendrick's video for "Humble" won and I was so happy about that. I really watched the video three times right before the Grammys started.

For Best New Artist I really wanted Alessia Cara to win and I thought she would win. I only knew her for two songs, but I liked her voice.
I was right. Alessia took him this Grammy, and I really appreciated how Khalid, who was also nominated in this category cheered her on. Let it be known that since Grammy night I have fallen in love with Khalid's music and I kind with him and Alessia could have both won.

For Best Pop Duo/Group Performance I really wanted Imagine Dragons to win for their song "Thunder" because I love Imagine Dragons with my soul and they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Despite me wanting Imagine Dragons to win, I thought "Despacito" would win because it had gotten so popular.
I was wrong. Portugal the Man won for their song, "Feel It Still". I'm not mad about it, because it is a good song. I'm relieved Bieber didn't win that one.

For Best Pop Solo Performance I love Lady Gaga's "Million Reasons" and Kesha's "Praying" and I wanted one of those songs to win, but I figured Ed Sheeran would take home this Grammy for "Shape of You".
He did win. No surprise there. I love Ed Sheeran. I have loved him for a while now. He's a very talented guy. But I think this was a steal.

For Best Pop Vocal Album I wanted it to go to Lady Gaga or Kesha, but I figured again that Ed Sheeran would win this one.
Yup. He did. I'll say that Ed Sheeran is one of the best singers and songwriters of our time.

For Best Rap/Sung Performance I put my money Jay-Z, because I thought he was more popular than Kendrick, but I really wanted Kendrick to win this one. "Humble" was the first song I heard off DAMN. and it's my favorite song off the album.
Kendrick won, which honestly surprised me, but I was so happy. He deserved it.

For Best Rap Song I thought it was going to be Jay-Z, but I wanted Kendrick to win, because as I said I really love the song "Humble".
Kendrick took this one home. Shocking, but I was happy.

For Best Rap Album again, I put my money on Jay and my hope on Kendrick.
Kendrick is the real MVP of Grammy night, honestly. He took home the three that I thought he wouldn't. I really thought Jay had more of a chance.

For Best R&B Performance I wanted Bruno to win this, and I was glad to see that he did! Though I'm a bit bummed Gambino was passed on this. Bruno probably still would have won, even if Gambino was nominated.

Best Traditional R&B Performance I wanted Gambino to take this one home and he did! I loved his album and he deserved it.

Best R&B Song was won by Bruno and all the writers who worked on it. I wanted Gambino to take this one, but it is what it is. I'm not mad. I knew Bruno would take it. I love Bruno and 24K Magic is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Best Urban Contemporary Album: I wanted this to go to Gambino - I am biased, deal with it. It ended up going to The Weeknd, which I'm not surprised about because while I'm not his biggest fan I do enjoy his music on occasion.

Best R&B Album: I put my hope on Gambino, but I figure Bruno would take this one and of course Bruno won this one. Again, I'll say I wasn't upset about Bruno's wins, I just think that Gambino deserved recognition.

Record of the Year: I wanted Gambino, I thought Bruno would win. He did. Wow. Shocker. By the end of the night, Bruno was an unstoppable force.

Song of the Year: I wanted Gambino. I figured it would be Bruno. It was Bruno. Not surprised. He did deserve every award he won.

Album of the Year: Okay, so 24K Magic is one of my favorite albums of all time. I knew it was going to win. However, I wanted "Awaken, My Love!" to take home this one. Because as good as Bruno is, Gambino took a risk with this album. He went from rap to R&B AND IT WAS GOOD!!! I just wish he got more recognition.

Sorry, this was so long and so late! I'm starting to get back into blogging. I had a moment of some craziness in my life. BUT I'M BACK HOPEFULLY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't