Skip to main content

Unus Annus: The Highlight of 2020 - Memento Mori

This has been an active week for my blog. Honestly, wasn't planning on writing anything about Unus Annus until I was watching the final live stream. I realized I cannot thank those involved, nor share my love for that experience in a single tweet, and I didn't want to do a Twitter thread. So what better way than blogging?
An Unus Annus piece I made
Firstly, I want to thank Amy, Mark, Ethan, and everyone else involved in the entire Unus Annus operation. This year has been insane in the worst ways. Between the pandemic and impending doom of a civil war in the distance, it's been scary.

Unus Annus made the year so much better. I am writing this post at 3am. I apologize for any and all errors; I want to get it done in time to be posted later today. If this is not posted on Nov. 14, 2020, this paragraph means nothing. I am sleep deprived and emotional, so prepare for a ride!

If you are unaware of Unus Annus, then you are in the wrong place. It's long gone. Should have been there. Long story short, it was a YouTube channel created by two YouTubers who posted every single day for an entire year - all 365 days - and deleted the channel on the final day.
I have been a fan of Markiplier for years. Although I jumped on that bandwagon a bit late, I've still been here for quite a bit. I was aware of CrankGamePlays - who I will be referring to by his name, Ethan, for the rest of the blog - but I wasn't the biggest fan of his. If you are a regular reader of this blog, or you just know me, you know I am not a casual fan. Anything Markiplier does I will follow. If the man told me to drink the Kool-Aid, I would without a doubt. I am a sheep and proud of it. So of course when he announced Unus Annus' first video was up, I immediately watched, subscribed and was hooked.

Seeing Mark and Ethan in the black and white suits intrigued me more than just the idea of them posting a video everyday for a year and then deleting the channel. That first video laid down the lore of what the channel would become. Or so we thought.

The first suit video was an intro. The first actual video was Mark and Ethan cooking each other breakfast with sex toys. I was beyond shook and entertained. The juxtaposition between what seemed like it was going to be a cool formal lore-based channel and the chaotic hysterical video we received. I was honestly confused, but I was never disappointed.

Every single video was iconic. I loved every moment of it.

I don't know what my life is going to be without Unus Annus. Without even having the videos to rewatch is going to suck. This whole experience was what was keeping me from having a full mental break down. It kept me sane during these trying times. I feel lost, knowing tomorrow there won't be another video.

There has never been a year in my life that I needed the laughter and joy more, than 2020. So thank you to the whole Unus Annus team for bringing me that joy and light.
I came into Unus Annus as a Mark fan, but honestly as of right now as I am writing this post, I have been watching more of Ethan's videos in the past few months. As I mentioned earlier, pre-Unus Annus, I wasn't the biggest fan of Ethan, but I only knew him from "Markiplier Makes..." videos and honestly, used to find him annoying, however, now when I rewatch those same videos, I wonder why I was so uptight. Ethan is genuinely hilarious!

The comedic chemistry between Mark and Ethan is ranked up there with John Mulaney and Nick Mulaney's chaotic energy. They are so funny. I hope they continue working on things together in the future.

I also want to shout out the other stars of Unus Annus: Chica, Spencer, Henry and Bohdi. I love any and all animal content. And they gave it to us.

Also the many guest stars of Unus Annus were all icons. Every single one of them. I am so tired so I cannot remember any of their names at this time, but they all made iconic moments that will live in my head forever.

My favorite moment of the whole thing was in the infamous sausage video, where Ethan spends nearly three whole minutes trying to remember how to say "skillet". I rewatched that clip everytime I needed a laugh and the fact that we lost it, is the biggest tragedy of the death of Unus Annus.

The "Disclaimer Song" is a BOP! I constantly sing it and I wouldn't be upset if they put it on Spotify or let me buy it so I can listen to it whenever I want.

Another bop that came out of UA was "Pepper and Sugar", the song that Mark and Ethan sang about and while holding the chickens, Sugar and Pepper. Also a song I constantly sing. It is ALWAYS stuck in my head. So thank you for that.

The moment in the sex toy breakfast video where Mark has the gag in his mouth and someone rings the doorbell, is hysterical! His face is engraved in my brain forever.

Let us never forget pee sauna. Horrendous yet hilarious.

I missed the first few hours of the final live stream due to having a doctor's appointment and being at the mercy of my parents running errands, but I got to watch from 7 hours left until the very end. I am so glad, I got to see it to the end. Even though as soon as the screen turned black when the stream ended, I cried.

I am in emotional distress as now I have to find a new distraction, but I am so blessed to have experienced all that Unus Annus had to offer, this past year.

A lot happened this year. My family got COVID - we survived - but it really sucked and I appreciated having Unus Annus when I was stuck in bed. There was also some family drama, but I turned to UA when I needed a laugh. And I NEEDED a laugh badly. It physically hurts my heart that it is over. But as a wise man once said, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". I am forever grateful. I cannot thank Mark, Ethan, Amy, and everyone enough. I just can't. It was wonderful to be a part of and I wouldn't change a thing.

Sorry if this is all over the place. I just wanted to get my thoughts out before I went to sleep. Thank you for Unus Annus. It will never be forgotten.

🖤🤍MEMENTO MORI🤍🖤⏳

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't