Skip to main content

Fangirl Friday: Brian d'Arcy James

If you look at the spreadsheet I use to organize my blog ideas, you'll see that Brian d'Arcy James has been at the top of the list for the past two years. I've been wanting to write about him for as long as I've been blogging, but haven't had the right motivation or inspiration. He is a man who has lived rent free in my head for nearly a decade and he has one of the most amazing voices in opinion.

NOW despite first being introduced to him in 2015, when I watched Mozard in the Jungle - he appeared as Beethoven - I did not become a fan. At the time I had no idea who he was obviously. What put him on my radar was the following year when I got into Hamilton. He was the original King George III off-Broadway. I had a name and face in my head that I would end up recognizing a few times before becoming the fan I am today.

What turned me into a fan of Brian's was when I watched Shrek the Musical for the first time. I watched it for another actor - John Tartaglia, who I've written about - but I ended up falling in love with Brian's voice. He portrayed Shrek and let me just say the man knocked it out of the park. Should have won the Tony, if you ask me. I was hesitant at first because I believed NO ONE could portray Shrek like Mike Myers has, but Brian proved me so wrong. His portrayal of our beloved green ogre was iconic and amazing. He is the reason "Who I'd Be" is one of my favorite songs from any musical. I know the whole Shrek franchise has turned into a meme, but I HIGHLY recommend watching the proshoot of the musical. The whole cast did an amazing job. All that being said, I'd say I was only a surface level casual fan of his at the time.

Brian also was part of the Broadway production of Something Rotten! Which is a musical near and dear to my heart. I wrote about it back in 2017 because it's one of my most played cast albums. He portrayed Nick Bottom, who was a rival of William Shakespeare in the show.  I'll be honest, I only looked into Something Rotten for another actor - Christian Borle who I've also written about  - but ended up falling more in love with Brian's voice. But once again remained a casual fan.

Brian d'Arcy James and Debra Messing
as Frank and Julia Houston in Smash

What turned me into the Brian d'Arcy James fan I am today was his portrayal of Frank Houston in the TV show, Smash. Yes, I have written about Smash on my blog before. Frank quickly became my favorite character. He lives rent free in my head and is on my list of "fictional men I'd die for". I still wholeheartedly believe he deserved better. I've been itching to rewatch the show for some reason. Maybe I just might.

I ended up having a full fixation with him for a few months between 2017 and 2018. During that time, I ended up watching a good chunk of his filmography. He's been in a whole heap of films and TV shows. I ended up watching the first season of 13 Reasons Why and Hawkeye just for him. I've been trying to actively keep up with his filmography. So far I've been mostly successful.

He played Sergeant Krupke in Spielberg's 2021 West Side Story remake, giving us a great Krupke. While Krupke isn't an "important" character in the musical - despite having a song named after him - Brian's performance was iconic. I love the 2021 remake and will at some point write about it here.

(L to R) Daniel Breaker, Brian d'Arcy James, Sutton Foster
as Donkey, Shrek and Fiona onstage of Shrek the Musical

While I do enjoy watching him act, I also enjoy listening to him sing. As I said at the beginning of this post, I believe he has one of the most amazing voices. I can listen to the man sing for hours - and I have. I hope to one day see him perform live whether it's in a musical, a play, or a concert.

In 2022, he was part of the Broadway revival of Into the Woods. He portrayed The Baker, opposite Sara Bareilles' Baker's Wife. If you have not given the cast album a listen, I cannot recommend it enough. The whole cast was phenomenal. One of those dream cast moments. The 2022 revival production deserves its own post. And it will get one.

Most recently he was in an off-Broadway production of Days of Wine and Roses as Joe Clay. I am not familiar with the show, but it's coming to Broadway next year so I will become familiar with it especially because it's a musical. I am so excited to get more of his voice to listen to - assuming we'll get a cast recording.

Brian d'Arcy James as Burrs with the cast of The Wild Party

I cannot end this post without mentioning my FAVORITE song that he's performed and recorded. I'll be honest The Wild Party isn't my cup of tea. HOWEVER, his version of "What is It About Her" from the 2000 off-Broadway production is one of my most streamed songs on Spotify. It's a song I can (and have) put on repeat for DAYS on end. The man's voice is incredible, what more can I say?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't