Skip to main content

Why "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Should Be Left Alone

Heyo! Happy Holidays! I hope everyone is doing well and in good health. I wish I had more inspiration and motivation to write and post more, but alas, I do not. As 2019 is almost over, I have survived an entire year without Wi-Fi in my home. Most of the posts this year have been posted from my phone or from a public spot with Wi-Fi so I'll admit it's not my best.

Even this post is being written at a Dunkin' Donuts. So no pics this time. Sorry. Welcome to the capitalist hell that is the United States of America. Anyway, I am not here to complain about my country. At least not in this post. I am here to defend the very controversial song of the past, "Baby, It's Cold Outside".

Before you SJW crack your knuckles to blow me out of the water and try to tell me how the song is problematic, read what I have to say first. I am open to a civil discussion on this, but only if it's civil. Any hostility will be ignored. Mostly because it'll send me into a panic attack. I am all for equality and I am in support of all of the #MeToo survivors.

This tune, which has been a Christmas staple until the backlash was written in 1944 by Frank Loesser. Yes, it was written by a man. No surprise there. It was written as a song for him and his wife, Lynn Garland to sing at a party to cue all of the guests that the party was over. That is the only real background of the song I know.

A lot of the backlash is around the lyrics and how the male singer is referred to as "wolf" in the score and the female is "mouse". However, keep in mind this is the 1940s. Things were SO different back then. Pedophilia and domestic abuse were normal in this day and age. Not that everyone partook, but it was mainly ignored. No one held anyone accountable. That is not an excuse. Just an explanation. However, in my opinion, as a female, I don't see this song as a predatory song, despite what the score calls the singers. And no I'm not brainwashed by rape culture.

Let me explain by going line by line. Well, not EVERY line, but the important ones.
Mouse: "My mother will start to worry"
Wolf: "Beautiful, what's your hurry?"
Mouse: "My father will be pacing the floor"
Wolf: "Listen to the fireplace roar"
Mouse: "So really, I'd better scurry"
Wolf: "Beautiful, please don't hurry"
Mouse: "But maybe just a half a drink more"
Wolf: "Put some records on while I pour"
This is when it starts getting controversial. She wants to leave, but he's begging her to stay. But why does she want to leave? She's not making it seem like he's a threat. She's worried what her parents will think if she stays in late with this man that she's obviously not married to. It was very taboo back then for a woman to be alone with a man she wasn't married to. This should be common knowledge, but in case it isn't, it makes sense that she brings up her parents as a reason to leave. Women could have been thrown into a mental institution or taken to a convent for things as small as this. Let's not forget that she decides to have more drink. Nowhere does he ask her to have another drink. She offers to have another drink with him, herself.
Mouse: "The neighbors might think"
Wolf: "Baby its bad out there"
Again, she brings someone else. She doesn't say she WANTS to leave. She keeps coming up with excuses. Not to convince him, but maybe to convince herself. People would have gossiped if she stayed out late with this guy.
Mouse: "Say, what's in this drink?"
Wolf: "No cabs to be had out there"
There's the big line. People use this and say "She questions if he spiked her drink". Of course, she's going to blame the alcohol for her wanting to stay with him. Who doesn't blame alcohol when they get into "drunken" trouble. I know I have. She is not accusing him of anything. This is a historically accurate line as women usually blamed alcohol for their "bad" or promiscuous behavior. Remember IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME where women weren't allowed to express sexual freedom. They needed to be prim and proper. Lame, if you ask me.
Mouse: "I ought to say 'no, no, no, sir'"
Wolf: "Mind if I move in closer"
Mouse: "At least I'm going to say that I tried"
Wolf: "What's the sense of hurting my pride?"
She knows that it's socially unacceptable for her to still be there, but she doesn't want to leave. And of course, she'll make up a story to stay seeming innocent. His second line here could mean one of two things: "why are you playing hard to get" OR "why would you ruin my reputation". Either one I accept.
Mouse: "The answer is no"
Wolf: "But baby, it's cold outside"
Yes. I agree no means NO. However, maybe he's really looking out for her. In some portrayals of this song, it really is storming outside.
Mouse: "My sister will be suspicious"
Wolf: "Gosh, your lips look delicious"
Mouse: "My brother will be there at the door"
Wolf: "Waves upon the tropical shore"
Mouse: "My maiden aunt's mind is vicious"
Wolf: "Gosh your lips are delicious"
Not going to lie, he does get a bit creepy, but then again maybe they are courting or involved. Then it's less creepy. She's back at being worried about her reputation. I'm still not convinced that she's being held against her will. Due to the next lines. 
Mouse: "But maybe just a cigarette more"
Wolf: "Never such a blizzard before"
Again, she decides to stay a bit longer. She could have already left if she WANTED to, but she doesn't want to.
Mouse: "There's bound to be talk tomorrow....at lease there will be plenty implied"
Again with the worrying about her reputation. It is ridiculous to believe that she was drugged and then taken advantage of because the song does not depict that. She is not staying against her will. She is staying because she wants to.

Therefore, you need to stop complaining about this song. I hope my "analysis" made sense. Even IF the "wolf" in the song had malicious intent, I think this song should be treated the same way Looney Toons handles their racist past. It shouldn't be ignored because we can learn from it. Good and bad.

As for John Legend's new version, I think it's unnecessary. I find it funny. Not in a cheesy cute way. I find it comedically wrong. It's too self-aware of trying to be politically correct that I see it as a joke.

There is nothing wrong about being an SJW or politically correct, but sometimes I think people just go too far with it. I, personally, love "Baby, It's Cold Outside". I'll still be listening to it in it's original form. But if this post didn't convince you, you don't have to. Everyone has their own perspective about things.

I do not know if I will post again before the year is over, so I hope you have Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't