Skip to main content

Sherlock, Season 4 Episode 1: The Six Thatchers - Recap and Reaction (SPOILERS)

The lovely Watson family and Sherlock.
Let me start off by saying that this contains A LOT of spoilers from the first episode so if you have not seen it, please don't continue reading. Please don't. Unless you don't care about spoilers. But this is all about spoilers.

¡¡¡¡SPOILERS!!!!!
I love these promo photos!
So let's talk about the episode. It opens with Mycroft and a parliamentary committee (the same people from "His Last Vow") basically telling Sherlock that he's free. They managed to cover up the killing of Magnussen.

YAY! Sherlock's back and won't be banished.

Then John and his wife, Mary, welcome their baby daughter into the world, naming her Rosamund, which is Mary's actual real name.

I am so happy about the baby! And I love how that is Mary's actual name. Her name is Rosemund Mary. This is the moment when everyone is like the Watsons have the perfect life. Nothing can go wrong.

Oh but we were wrong! Cue the gross sobbing.
The Watsons, Tobi(y?) and Sherlock on set
After Sherlock is asked to solve a case, he solves it in like .5 seconds (exaggeration, but he's good, we all know that) but notices something. He notices that a Martha Thatcher bust was destroyed. He then chases "The Case of the Six Thatchers" (nice one, John! (I know it wasn't John, but let's imagine and pretend it was him that came up with it)) and meets AJay.

I knew that AJay wasn't with Moriarty from the beginning. I had a feeling in my gut. And then when the flash drive came out of the bust, I was like OH! Then we learned that AJay was a friend of Mary's back when she was a contract killer. That's what she was in reality. Get over it!

AJay tells Sherlock that Mary is a dead woman and yada yada yada. Flash forward to Mary running away from everything once Sherlock tells her what happened. Oh and we learn AGRA was not Mary's initials, but the initials of those who worked with her. And then we found out what was on the flashdrive, but I don't really care about all that. However when Mary fled, it upset me.

This part upset me and I was screaming at my laptop "NO! WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHILD? FORGET JOHN, HE'S A BIG BOY! BUT ROSIE NEEDS HER MOM! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, WOMAN?"

We learn that after some rescue mission, Mary gets out, and AJay thinks she betrayed them, but it winds up being Lady Smallwood's secretary. I know. That was nuts to find out.

AJay is killed by some cop or whatever and Mary goes back to her normal life with John and Rosie. I really love that baby.

If any harm comes to that child in this series, I will write to Moffat and tell him the truth: he is worse than George RR. Martin.

Anyway Sherlock and Mycroft discuss what could have happened and figure out who the "english woman" is if not Mary. At first Sherlock thinks it's Lady Smallwood, but she denies, because she didn't do it. Her secretary did, but they don't know that yet.

However, when they do find out that it was the secretary, all hell breaks loose. IN AN AQUARIUM!

So Sherlock and Mary are talking to Vivian Norbury, the secretary, and she pulls out a gun. The back up comes to the rescue! Or not. Mycroft, Greg (my hero!) and some cops or whatever show up but the lovely Vivian Norbury has to shoot at Sherlock.

Now I was expecting Sherlock to move or it to go how it went when Mary shot him, BUT NOPE!

BECAUSE MARY HAD TO PUSH HIM OUT OF THE WAY AND TAKE THE GDAMN BULLETT! LIKE WOMAN YOU HAVE A HUSBAND AND CHILD! IN REALITY ALL SHERLOCK HAS TO LIVE FOR IS JOHN! BUT MARY HAS A FAMILY! I AM SO UPSET ABOUT THIS!

Mary is shot and John shows up. He gets to be there as she dies.

Let me admit, I started crying as soon as I realized she was shot. I have been emotional since Christmas night. I shall explain in a later blog.

But Mary is dying and telling John to take care of Rosie. She tells Sherlock that she likes him a lot. And apologizes for shooting him, saying they're even now. She says that Mary Watson was the life worth living And then she dies in John's arms.

As you can imagine John is pissed. He cries, or screams. I'm not sure.

That part was a little odd, but I won't make fun of Martin Freeman's crying/screaming as I was sobbing and sounding like a cat during this scene.

But John looks up at Sherlock and expresses his frustration as Sherlock had vowed to protect her.

I actually think watching how upset John was at Sherlock broke my heart and made me cry even more.

Mycroft goes home, and I'm pretty sure this was the first time we ever see his home in the series. But he sees a sticky note on his fridge that says 13th and he picks up the phone and asks to be put through to "Sherrinford". After doing some research over the years, this might be the third Holmes brother, that Mycroft mentioned and I am very eager and excited to see who it is. I cannot wait!!!

John's old therapist makes an appearance, but I knew it wasn't John going to her. I knew it was Sherlock. It was one of those moments, like in crime shows when they have the first suspect but you know it's not them because it would be too easy and there's still 20 minutes left of the episode. You know what I mean?

Anyway, Sherlock sees a therapist an then goes back home to Baker Street. Part of me was hoping that John decided to move back in because living at the house where he lived with Mary would hurt to much and I love the idea of Sherlock waking up to screaming baby Rosie.

But no. We had a crying Mrs. Hudson. Sherlock opens a package that has a DVD that just says "Miss Me" on it. And I really hoped it was Moriarty. Because Jim Moriarty is my husband and I don't think he's dead. Don't argue. I'm saving my Moriarty theory for another blog.
Hate on me for loving the villain, but I love Moriarty
with all my heart and soul. Both the character and the actor.
But anyway, the DVD is not Moriarty at all (to my disappointment), but Mary. She dramatizes it, but basically asks to "save John Watson" which I think just means "take care of my husband, will you? I think he's perfect but I also know he's a complete moron sometimes"

Sherlock then goes to John's flat, to offer his help, but Molly opens the door, holding Rosie, and gives Sherlock a letter, telling him it's from John and when Sherlock is like I just wanna see if there's anything I can do to help Molly tells him John wants anyone to help, but Sherlock.

AND I KNOW THAT YOU ARE PISSED OFF JOHN, BUT THAT WAS YOUR WIFE'S STUPIDITY, NOT SHERLOCK'S, SO LEAVE HIM BE AND LET HIM BE YOUR FRIEND AGAIN BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU! WE KNOW HE DOES!

Anyway in an additional scene after the credits, Mary, on the DVD, says "Go to Hell, Sherlock" and I love that because I also WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGEREE!!

But as heartbroken as I am that Mary died, I am also kind of happy about it I just wish Rosie wasn't in the picture.

Because I have shipped Sherlock and John as a couple since I first watched Sherlock years ago, and now that Mary is out the picture they can be a couple again. It's only a matter of time. John can't stay upset forever. And I know he won't. What's Sherlock without his Dr. Watson?

Believe me, I grew up with Sherlock Holmes from the 22nd Century

I know the theme song is catchy as hell!

I was kind of hoping for Mary's death for a while BUT NOT LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!

Overall, I liked the episode, al though something felt off about it. I do hope it picks up later on in the season.

BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW TOBY IS GOING TO BE IN THE SEASON, LATER ON?

Who is Toby, you ask?
Why it's Toby Jones!

Toby Jones is one of my favorite actors of all time. He is brilliant! And he tends to pop up in almost everything I watch. So you can imagine how I reacted when I saw him in the trailer for season 4.

I screamed. I was sitting next to my younger brother and I screamed "TOBY'S GONNA BE IN IT". Yeah. I actually think I was more excited that Toby Jones is going to be in Sherlock than Sherlock is coming back with season 4 finally.

Yeah. I think that's accurate.

But that episode was nuts and I am excited for the rest of the season!

More Sherlock related blogs to look out for (and as I post them, the links will be provided with them):
It is currently 5am and I think it's a good idea to got to bed. So goodnight!

Email me at McCarthaMontieth@gmail.com or comment on what you thought about the episode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't