Skip to main content

That Time Grigori Rasputin Was Known As Russia's Greatest Love Machine

 Heyo! Welcome back! I took a much-needed week off for my mental sanity. But I also wasn't feeling well at all last week, but I am okay! And excited about today's topic! Today I figured we'd all learn what the deal is with Grigori Rasputin's reputation as "Russia's greatest love machine".

Let's get into some "quick" background if you've never heard the name Grigori Rasputin. He was a mystic and "holy man". Though the latter can be debated. He became close with the Russian royal family after being a "faith healer" to Tsar Nicholas II's son, Alexei.

If you, like me grew up in the 90s or early 2000s, you probably know him as the villain of Fox's 1997 animated film, Anastasia. That was my introduction to him and you can believe how shook I was when I found out he was a real person.

There is also the option that you've only heard his name in the 1978 Boney M song, "Rasputin". Which if you know the song, then you know why I wanted to look into the myth that he was "Russia's greatest love machine". It's hands down one of my favorite songs.

There are so many myths about Rasputin that have since been debunked, but we're not here to talk about all of them. Though I would be willing to write more about his myths if anyone is interested. The man was insane.

Rasputin was a monk who historians believe may have been part of the Khlyst religious sect which was under the Russian Orthodox Church, but split from it sometime in the 1600s. Despite being a self-proclaimed holy man, he heavily drank and visited brothels quite frequently.

His brothel visits might have been what gave him the reputation as a sexual deviant. He found himself in the good graces of the Russian royal family because he seemed to have been able to heal Prince Alexei's hemophilia. However, it may have just been the fact that he disallowed the child to be administered aspirin.

Being so close to the royal family because of that resulted in rumors that he was a puppet master behind the Tsar and that he had an affair with the Tsarina. There is no evidence to prove either rumor. Though he tried to offer military advice to the Tsar and he did have somewhat of an influence on the Tsarina because she named him one of her advisors.

Rasputin was assassinated December 1916, but there are a lot of myths and rumors surrounding his death that might I make a post about at a later date. It's a little more interesting than this subject.

There is no real proof that he really was "Russia's greatest love machine" HOWEVER one of the most fascinatingly disturbing facts I know about him is that ALLEGEDLY after his death, his genitals were removed and now reside in the Museum of Erotica in St. Petersburg. There is a lot of speculation around that, but I figured if I'm going to write about this man's sex life I'd have to add it as a "fun" fact. It's rumored to actually be his genitals, but some people believe it actually belonged to a cow. His alleged genitals were also used in a sex cult's rituals. And that is all I will say because I honestly didn't need nor want anymore specifics about it.

If you enjoyed learning about this extremely weird moment in history, please check out my other That Time... posts! And if you have any other weird moments in history that interest you, drop them in the comments! Have a great week.!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't