Skip to main content

Let's Talk About the Lion King Remake

FIRST OF ALL hi. I am a huge Disney geek. And on July 19, 2019, a little less than a year from now, Disney is planning to release a "photorealistic" remake of The Lion King. I am excited, yet skeptical of it.

In my opinion, Disney has done a wonderful job with their recent live-action remakes, so there is no doubt in my mind that this will be great. Everyone except for the Disney Company has been calling it a "live-action" remake. Which is keeping their integrity because it could not be a live action film if none of the characters are living. It'll most likely be CGI - hopefully, well-done CGI.

I am envisioning Aslan from the Narnia movies, but times one hundred since most of the characters are lions. And I remember - for the time - Aslan was one very well. I have hope in Disney because they have yet to disappoint me.

Let me tell you before I was read on the production of this movie, I was ready to make a whole post on why it is stupid to call it a live-action movie. But now I can just gush about how excited I am about the cast.
I LOVE Donald Glover with all my heart and soul. I think he is one of the most talented people in the entertainment industry right now. He sings he raps, he acts, he directs AND he writes. Plus I just have the biggest crush on him. He recently portrayed Lando Calrissian in Solo. He also writes, directs, and stars in his show, Atlanta on FX. And you might also know him by his stage name, Childish Gambino.

He is going to be voicing Simba, which I am so excited for because I first fell in love with his voice because he portrays Marshall Lee, who is my favorite Adventure Time character. I think this casting is absolutely perfect.
Next, we have QUEEN Beyonce playing Nala. Beyonce is finally going to be a Disney Queen. I know Nala isn't anything big, but I consider her a Disney Queen. I shouldn't have to explain Beyonce.

I am excited because we're probably going to be getting an epic duet between Queen B and Donald.

We have ICONIC James Earl Jones voicing Mufasa. As you most likely know, JEJ voiced Mufasa in the original movie and he's coming back! So this is me just being a nerd. I am so excited he was cast.
We are being blessed by Chiwetel Ejiofor because he is going to be voicing big bad Scar. Chiwetel is one of my all-time favorite actors and I really did spend 45 minutes trying to learn how to pronounce his name because I have so much respect for him and I wanted to know how to properly say his name.

I couldn't think of a better person to play Scar. While Jeremy Irons' voice is iconic, I cannot wait to hear Chiwetel deliver some great Scar lines. The script will obviously differ from the original, but if they keep to Scar's personality, we will have some great lines.

Billy Eichner is playing Timon and Seth Rogen is playing Pumba. I, personally, would have taken a different route with this casting. So I'm less excited about this casting choice. But hey, I guess they're funny so we'll see.

John Kani, who played the late T'Chaka in Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity Wars is playing Rafiki and I am so ready! I am not familiar with his work before playing T'Chaka, but I enjoyed him in that role and I am excited.
JOHN OLIVER IS PLAYING ZAZU! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! Yes, I watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver religiously just for him. I love him. I think he is hilarious and while he has a tough act to follow - since Rowan Atkinson is the reason Zazu became such a great character - I think he is going to be great. I have full faith in him and I trust him. But I would trust this man with my life, honestly.

I am not familiar with Alfre Woodard, who is voicing Sarabi, Simba's mother, but I trust Disney so I predict she will be great.

Florence Kasumba is voicing Shenzi - the hyena formally voiced by Whoopi Goldberg - and I am excited. I am not too familiar with Florence outside of her portrayal of Ayo in Black Panther. I am trash for the Black Panther movie. I'll probably get more into why in a later blog post.

Okay, let's get into the last two cast members that I'm hyped for:
Eric Andre is playing Azizi. Eric Andre is the first raunchy, over the top comedian I became a fan of. I don't even remember what I was watching that first introduced him to me, but I have been a fan ever since. I cannot wait to see what he brings to the table. It's going to be good.

AND LAST BUT NEVER LEAST:
We are getting Keegan-Michael Key voicing Kamari. Technically he first came into my life through Weird Al Yankovic's music video for "White and Nerdy", but I didn't become a fan of his (and his comedy partner, Jordan Peele) until I watched Epic Rap Battles Martin Luther King v. Gandhi where he portrayed Gandhi. It was great and ever since then, I've loved watching Key & Peele skits. A lot of them are on YouTube and I HIGHLY recommend watching their skits. You won't regret it.

Overall, I am SO excited for this movie. I am a fan of most of the cast and I can't wait to hear the music and I plan to actually see this in theaters next year. But we'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't