Skip to main content

My 10 Favorite Queen Videos

THIS POST TOOK FOREVER! I AM SORRY, BUT HERE IT IT!

If you know me in real life, you know that Queen is one of my favorite bands of all time. I personally think that they are the best band of all time, not the Beatles. Though I also love the Beatles. So I thought I'd write a blog post about how I'd rank all of the Queen music videos. I'll also probably do a similar post for Freddie Mercury's solo music videos.
John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Freddie Mercury and Brian May
in "The Invisible Man" music video
If you don't know who Queen is, they are a rock band from the 70/80s. They were headed by lead singer Freddie Mercury until his death in 1991. Brian May was the lead guitarist. John Deacon played bass and Roger Taylor played drums. To this day, Queen still does some live performances with Brian and Roger still on guitar and drums and Adam Lambert singing all the songs Freddie immortalized with his voice. If you still don't know who they are, they are the band that did "Bohemian Rhapsody". If you are still clueless, I don't know what to tell you, pal.

Every video on this list is on Queen's YouTube channel playlist (Queen - Official Music Videos) - of course, I'll add the music video to the post so you can see for yourself. Of course, I will include the title, year, and album of each video and song.

The reason I changed it from ranking all videos to just my top 10 is because it was taking way too long to rank them all. Maybe I'll do that for a future post since I already have a large chunk of the videos done. And don't confuse this list with my top 10 favorite Queen songs, because that is different.

But let me tell you, figuring out which 10 I loved the most was so hard because it does not match up with my top 10 favorite Queen songs.

But let's get into it!
10. "Killer Queen"
Sheer Heart Attack, 1974
"Killer Queen" has always been one of my favorite Queen songs. I love it so much The video is simple and features Freddie in a fur coat. It's a simple video of the band just performing on a set, but I think I love it because of Freddie's performance mostly. Even though early Queen videos were simple, I love them. I would like to take a moment and admire the white jacket Brian is wearing. Also, can we talk about the fact that they used a smoke machine and for some reason, the blue lightbulbs around the stage was a thing? Overall I just love this video. It's simple but wonderful.
9. "One Vision"
Iron Eagle, 1986
This video has a lot going on. It's like a behind the scenes look at Queen. It starts with them hanging out and then you get a look into the studio. This version is the extended version and I love this music video because you see Queen be themselves. There's the part where Freddie and Roger are bouncing on the sofa - or whatever they are sitting on - that I love. It's a great video. Can I just admit to still having the biggest crush on Roger Taylor? I do. I love him. He's great and very adorable, especially in this video. Freddie is an unstoppable force in this video. Let's talk about how John looks like a total dad in this video. Just thought I'd point that out. It's a great video. I really do love it.
8. "Headlong"
Innuendo, 1991
First of all, I'd like to say I love Freddie's yellow sweatshirt, even though yellow is my least favorite color. I believe this is one of Queen's last videos with Freddie, but I cannot confirm that. But I can really write a whole essay on why I love that sweatshirt. Again, let me comment on how adorable Roger is in this video. I just love him so much. I don't know how I'd describe the setting of this video, but it is very interesting. Some moments I love include Brian headbanging, Freddie sticking out his tongue at the camera and the band laying on some shelves. I love this video. Also, Roger really looks like the dad in this one. John still looks like a dad, but Roger REALLY looks like a dad. I don't mind Freddie's beard. It suits him very well. It's an iconic video. That's all I have to say about this one.
7. "Bohemian Rhapsody"
A Night at the Opera, 1975
Can't go wrong with a classic and I think this video is said to have started the revolution of every artist making music videos. Again, I could be wrong. I don't always know what I'm talking about. This is on my top 10 mostly because I love this song and I love the simplicity of the video, but also because whoever was directing the camera movement and zooms deserve a whole load of awards, because, for 1975, I am really impressed. Also, I love Freddie's outfit in this. And John's outfit. I think their outfits were made from the same material maybe? Plus the whole operatic part of the video is so GREAT! Then the rockin' part comes along and they have smoke and stage lights and it's just amazing. The video is just as epic as the song.
6. "Bicycle Race"
Jazz, 1978
Random note about me: I like singing this song as Dracula. It's a lot of "I vant to vide my vicycle" over and over again. This is why I have no friends. I LOVE FREDDIE'S OUTFIT IN THIS AND IT  MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE OUTFIT HE'S WORN IN ANY VIDEO AND I LOVE HIS HAIR AND EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM IN THIS VIDEO IS MY AESTHETIC! Now that I got that out of my system, let's talk about the video. Naked women on bikes. My queer self is here for it. I think the fact there are naked women on bikes is why I can't insert the video to the post. Back when I was a smol Queen fan in my childhood I really did love this song and I still love it today and I love the video as much as I love the song. Okay, quickly I would like to address 2:35-3:42 as probably my favorite moment of the video. Freddie's movements with the lyrics is such a MOOD! I love this video. I love this band. And I love Freddie's outfit. The whole damn thing is iconic.
5. "I'm Going Slightly Mad"
Innuendo, 1991
This video is the most relatable piece of art to my life. Freddie's outfit in this is another outfit I absolutely love. I actually wanted to recreate this outfit for Halloween last year, but I was unable to. I love Roger with his maracas in this video. And his kettle hat. This song is one of my favorite Queen songs. Can we talk about Brian being mama penguin? This video just makes me want to do posts about the best outfits in all of Queen's videos. This video is a load of fun and it's great. It doesn't make sense, but it's not supposed to. Maybe I'll try to recreate Freddie's outfit for this Halloween.
4. "Don't Stop Me Now"
Jazz, 1978
If you were wondering, yes when I was a child listening to Queen I had a huge crush on Freddie, but that was before I understood what being queer was. This is another video where John looks like a total dad. This video is so simple but so good just for Freddie alone. He puts on a show in these videos. His outfit here is another one I admire. A variant to the leather daddy look that he embraced later on. By the way, when I first fell in love with this song, I fell in love with the Glee cover before I fell in love with the original because Darren Criss is an actual angel sent down to take care of us.
3. "I Want to Break Free"
The Works, 1984
I am conflicted that Roger makes a convincing girl. And he'd be a damn pretty girl too, but that's because he's a pretty boy anyway. Roger is actually a prettier girl than I am. And while this song could very much be a queer anthem, it was written by John and not Freddie. I love this video because of how ridiculous it is. All four of them are in drag. The video gets weird. If you think that Queen in drag is weird, just watch the whole thing. You have Freddie dressed in a leotard colored like a cow. It's quite a trip. I love Brian with curlers in his hair. It's iconic.
2. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
The Game, 1979
Originally when this was going to be ranking all of Queen's videos, I wrote 371 words about this video because I have no chill whatsoever. The first time I heard this song, it was not the original version, it was actually Michael Buble's cover of it and I loved Buble's version for years until I discovered the original and this video. This video really almost ranked as #1. In this video we get leather daddy Freddie which is another aesthetic and tied as my favorite outfit he's worn with his outfit in the video for "Bicycle Race". This is actually the first ever Queen video I watched AND the first Queen song I fell in love with - not the first one I heard which is "Another One Bites the Dust". One of my favorite moments is the transition when he jumps and spins and it's a close up to his ass with two women's hands on it. It was a well-done transition. It was probably simple, but I'm a nerd who appreciates weird things. Can we take a moment to appreciate the cheesy 70s effects they used for Freddie's eyes? I love it. The part where the woman rips open his shirt is iconic and it was recreated years later for his video for his cover of "The Great Pretender". Let us discuss the band's outfits, though. We all love Freddie's leather daddy look. What an ICON! Roger isn't wearing a shirt, just a leather jacket and a tie over his bare chest. Real classy. Brian is snazzy with his sunglasses and his closed leather jacket. John is wearing a t-shirt under his leather jacket. I love this video so much as you can tell by this whole paragraph I wrote.
1. "The Invisible Man"
The Miracle, 1989
Not only is this my #1 favorite Queen video, it is also my favorite song and my ringtone for when I get calls - my text tone is a Bruno Mars thing. What started as a parody joke, became one of my interweb identities thanks to the song. I call myself the invisible queer. The whispering at the beginning of the song is actually how I began to understand why people like ASMR. But that has nothing to do with the video. Let me talk about how much I love this video. You have this kid who puts a disk into his computer and I guess he installs the invisible man and squad game and they end up leaving the computer and wreaking havoc in his poor kid's hours. Let's take a moment and appreciate John's hat. And Freddie's glasses. When the kid thinks he got rid of the invisible man and squad they all jump out of his closet - which is where the invisible queer came from. The band is all wearing black and some type of accessory. John has his crocodile Dundee hat - I don't know any other way to describe it. Freddie has his green glasses. Brian and Roger are bother wearing sunglases. It's all simple outfits. It's a really weird video, but I love it so much.


So there it is! My top 10 favorite Queen videos. I know it took a few months too long, but it's finally here!

I am going to be working on more posts like this so let me know if there is another artist you want me to rank my top 10 favorite videos of!

Maybe if anyone is interested, I'll write a blog post about my love for Roger Taylor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't