Skip to main content

My Thoughts on American Satan

IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED AMERICAN SATAN, YET DO NOT READ AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I have seen this movie so many times I have fallen in love with it. Though, I will say the more I watch it, the more flaws I find, but I'm not going to point out it's flaws.
It became my favorite movie after the second watch. The first watch has my shaken. I wasn't ready for ANY of it.

I love dark movies. I love rock. I love Andy Biersack, Denise Richards and Malcolm McDowell. It was destined to be a movie I was going to love.
Malcolm McDowell as Mr. Capricon
I have been interested in this movie since I first heard about it in late 2016 or early 2017. I don't remember, but I really tried convincing my religious parents to let my little brother and I see it on it's October, Friday the 13th premiere. They said no.

It took me almost a whole year to finally get it and watch it and I am so in love. I got into Palaye Royale a week before I finally watched the movie. I knew Andy Biersack didn't sing for his character in the movie, but I didn't know it was Palay Royale's Remington Leith - who by the way has made it as my favorite singer of all time as of right now.

Honestly, I can thank Palaye Royale for being so good, I decided to finally get American Satan and watch it. I'll write a whole post about Palaye Royale because they are becoming my favorite band. They're good. Go put their Spotify on shuffle. Thank me later.

I think the entire cast did an amazing job. For it being Andy's first big "commercial" movie and never really having acted before. Plus I just think he was perfect for the role. He looks the rockstar aesthetic.
(L to R) Jesse Sulivan, Ben Bruce, Sebastian Gregory,
Andy Biersack and Booboo Stewart as The Relentless
Before I talk about the rest of the cast and the whole movie in general, can we stop and appreciate that they cast Malcolm McDowell to play Satan and I think that is one of the best casting choices of all time. I have been a fan of his for years and I think this was a really great fit.

I would like to admit that even though I used to be a fan of Asking Alexandria, I did not know who Ben Bruce was. I know. Fake fan. But let me tell you the scene where Leo find Ricky dead, hit me so hard because of Ben's performance. Give that man an Oscar.
(L to R) Andy Biersack, John Bradley, Booboo Stewart,
Sebastian Gregory, and Jesse Sullivan
John Bradley and Sebastian Gregory did great in their roles. I think Ricky's death was the moment when the storyline actually started going downhill. Honestly, wish there was a little more about Dylan. He just seemed like a filler character. Like you could watch the movie without Dylan and it wouldn't take away from the main story. And it's not the actor's fault. Just the way the movie was written.
Booboo Stewart as Vic Lakota
Booboo Stewart, who I have been a fan of since the Twilight movies did well in his role. Vic Lakota was probably the most innocent member of the band and while the movie gave him a good role it wasn't as big as it could have been. Again, not a fault of the actor.

The actors were given a script and they delivered it and they delivered it well.

Let me talk about Jesse Sullivan as Lily. First of all, I think she delivered her character very well. I would say that Lily is the biggest antagonist. Not Mr. Capricorn. She seduced Johnny and purposefully answered a call with Gretchen. And she very much persuaded Johnny to start using heroin. I know he did it at his own free will, bu I think he would have been fine, had Lily not told him to stay at the Bordello.

Johnny was really like "I can get in trouble here" and he did!

So yeah, if you asked me, I'd say Lily is my least favorite character besides Damien.
Drake Bell and Andy Biersack
Let's quickly go over Damien, played by Drake Bell. First of all, I am not a fan of Drake Bell. I used to be a HUGE fan up until three years ago. He really annoys me and it's only fitting he played a spoiled rich kid that idiotically got himself killed. No offense to Drake Bell. I think he's talented. I just can't stand him, personally. But he played his part well. So he gets a gold star in my book.
(L to R) Ben Bruce, Andy Biersack,
Booboo Steward and Sebastian Gregory
Also, can I mention how after Damien dies, Mr. Capricorn leaves them while whistling "Mr. Bightside"? At least I think it was "Mr.  Bightside. I could be wrong.

I LOVE the character of Gabriel - played by Bill Duke, wonderfully. I think this role is so important to the movie. He shows up every time Mr. Capricorn does and gives Johnny some type of wisdom. I assume he is the angel Gabriel and since Gabriel is the messenger angel, it only makes sense that his wise words are what keeps helping Johnny get through everything. Not to mention that he really does save Johnny's life when he overdoses. So, on one hand, he can be the messenger angel, but he could also be Johnny's guardian angel. Or both. I like either theory.

I absolutely love the music in this movie and I compiled a playlist on YouTube of all the songs played in the movie. It included the Relentless, Palaye Royale, Circa Survive, The Pretty Reckless and a lot more. You can find it here.

Overall, I think the movie is amazing.

I am going to do a separate blog post about the soundtrack but listen to The Relentless' cover of "We Lose Control" because it's my favorite song off the soundtrack. I'll try to include the video, but if I can't insert it, the link is in the title. The song further cements Remington Leith as my favorite singer. He really goes IN.
If you haven't seen it, check it out. But I will say that it is rated R and it's a lot to take in. It depicts sex, drug use, and an overdose. Take this as your warning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't