Skip to main content

Fangirl Friday: "Work It Out" by Joe Jonas

 Heyo! Hope you're doing well. I have had QUITE the time since I last posted. This post is being written about 8 hours before it has to go up just because I am full of emotions and I need to get them all out. ALSO, this is my 250th post!

As the title states, this post is about Joe Jonas' newest song, "Work It Out" off his upcoming album, Music for People Who Believe in Love. I wrote a Fangirl Friday about Joe over a month ago and I very much explained my whole timeline as a fan of his and why he means so much to me. It's a long one, so Godspeed if you decide to give it a read.

Long story short, Joe has gotten me through some dark times. I've been a fan for 18 years. He's made me feel seen both with his music and the way I relate to his public "persona". Sometimes he'll do things that will align with me going through the roughest things in my life. The coincidences have very much fueled my parasocial relationship with him. Ironically a lot of my trauma is tied to him and his brothers because they are the light in the darkness for me.

Cover art for Music for People Who Believe in Love

To talk about why this song is so important to me and why the timing of the song is PERFECT, I need to get personal for a bit. So trigger warning for mentions of suicidal ideation, depression, anxiety, and hospitalization. I have many more light-hearted posts you can read if you're interested.

On July 6th, I admitted myself to the hospital and was being monitored because I was actively suicidal. The next day I was taken to a psyche ward where I received care for nine days. I was discharged on Tuesday. I'll be honest, some of my fellow patients had photos of their families. I had someone print my favorite photo of Joe because he's the biggest reason I stopped myself from actually committing suicide and why I decided to get help.

He opened pre-orders and announced the release date for his new album on Wednesday. And today he released the first song from it. He'd been teasing the song for a while and we all called it "Even Baddies Get Saddies" because of one of the lines we all latched onto.

The first time I heard the opening verse: "Come on, Joe, you got so much more to be grateful for / Stop bein' say 'cause you're makin' the room uncomfortable / Okay, I get it,  right now, you're feelin' so miserable / Sometimes I wish I had powers to be invisible / Even baddies get saddies and that's the hardest truth / Called your mommy and daddy, they don't know what to do / You're seein' everything backwards when it's so beautiful / Sometimes I need remindin'" I felt so seen because I related to every sing line of that verse.

I have dealt with depression and anxiety since I was nine years old. I'm 26 now. It came to a head when I admitted myself to the hospital. I was talking to my dad yesterday about wishing I was invisible. Not wanting to be perceived by other people especially when I was struggling. And I am struggling, despite having been discharged from the hospital. Since being home I have been attempting to see the silver lining in everything.

From Joe's Instagram Story

The chorus is real and I do feel like he's talking to me directly. Just like I thought he was talking to me in 2008 when I heard "Underdog" by the Jonas Brothers for the first time. Time truly is a circle.

The chorus goes "Hello, hello, hello, hello, wake up tomorrow is now / Get up, get up, get up, get up, what are you whinin' about? / No, nobody's gonna save you now, no, nobody's gonna pull you out / Brush your shoulders off, life's gonna work it out".

It's true. Sometimes you have to find the courage to take care of yourself because no one else will. I had to admit myself to the hospital because when I was screaming for help, no one helped me. I had been struggling badly since last August. Coincidentally, that is when the Jonas fixation returned because they are the only people who can pull me out of my own head most of the time. My brain knew things were going to get bad and pulled out the "big guns". June 26th marks one year since the Jonas brainrot returned.

The second verse: "So you think you're too cool to go to therapy / But look at you, your anxieties got anxieties / You go to bed with a head full of insecurities / Nobody cares what you said back when you were seventeen / Okay, maybe I'm a little dramatic / Okay, maybe I'm a little manic / Some days, I wanna float away / Sometimes I need remindin'".

When I was in the hospital they'd take my vitals regularly. My pulse was always high because being anxious has been my baseline for over a decade. It may be super lame to admit, but listening to the Jonases' music is the only time I don't feel anxious. They get my mind off the things that I'd be ruminating over.

I have severe insomnia where sometimes I'd only sleep less than five hours in a week. Although I'd be exhausted, I just could never turn my brain off. Fortunately thanks to my grippy sock vacation, now I have been prescribed medication to help me sleep so I've been doing better. I'm actually ruining my sleeping schedule for this song release and to write this post. But Joe is worth it.

I absolutely love the song and it is exactly what I need right now. But ALSO just wanna talk about his voice. Every time I don't think the man's voice can get any better he proves me wrong and I love it. Cannot wait to hear his vocals on the rest of the album.

I'm so glad this post didn't get super long as my past Jonas posts have. If by some MIRACLE Joe ever comes across this post: Hello, Joseph. Hope you're doing well. I'd like to say how incredibly proud I am of you. I've watched you grow as a person and an artist for almost two decades now and it's been an absolute joy. I am honored to be a fan of yours, I am so excited and looking forward to Music For People Who Believe in Love. Thank you for the music. Thank you for always being there when I feel like I have no one. Just thank you. For everything.

If you were curious about my favorite photo of him

I will be writing a Kinda Review about his album when it drops. Franklin's Fangirl Friday SHOULD be coming out next week if all goes well. So you've got that to look forward to on my blog.

Other Jonas Posts:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't