Skip to main content

Don't Give In - A Falsettos One-Shot [Writing #23]

This has to be one of my all-time favorite Falsettos one-shots that I've written. It combines Falsettos and A New Brain.

It's a bit sad, but also a bit comedic.

Christian Borle played Mr. Bungee (2015 cast of A New Brain) and Marvin (2016 Falsettos revival). Chip Zein played Mr. Bungee (off-Broadway cast of a New Brain), Marvin (In Trousers), and Mendel (original Broadway cast of Falsettos).

I don't remember who I was envisioning when I was writing this, but do with it what you will.

Words: 1175

It was two weeks after Whizzer's funeral. Marvin had taken advantage of his vacation days. He didn't want to deal with his co-workers and their condolences. The only person he didn't mind was Jason. Besides the fact that Marvin was mourning the love of his life, he was deteriorating. Both his body and his will to live were disappearing more and more every day. He knew he had to try for Jason, but he knew if he gave up the kid would understand.
Sitting on the couch, he channel surfed, trying to keep his brain occupied until Jason stopped by as he did every day after school. Stopping on a children's show, he smiled for the first time in weeks. It was a show he used to watch when Jason was little. He couldn't believe it was still on the air.
"Hey there, little tadpoles! Kerplop! Aren't we having a fungee-bungee good time? Come on!" The host of the show, Mr. Bungee, a man dressed in a frog costume, spoke to the camera. He was an attractive man, which was the only reason Marvin liked watching the show with Jason. He hated children's shows normally. "Let's hip-hop on over to my own little lilypad on this dark and miserable morning. At least it's dark and miserable here, and maybe it's dark and miserable where you are too!"
"What am I doing?" Marvin asked himself.
But before he could change the channel, Mr. Bungee started singing:
"When you want to quit
'Cause nothing works
Don't give in
Quitting is the specialty of-"
For a moment, Marvin thought Mr. Bungee was talking to him. He sat up and looked at the screen.
"Don't give in
Simply keep your focus
On what lies ahead
Don't play games
Don't pay dead
Begin"
Marvin found himself mesmerized. He could have sworn Mr. Bungee wrote the song just for him. As if the strange man on the children's channel knew what Marvin was going through.
"Those who are marking time:
Wake up
Life is a cause you have to take up
Don't give up
When you think you're dying
Well you ain't"
"Except I am." Marvin directed his remark to the TV.
"Don't give in
All you need's another coat of paint
Don't give in
Fix-a-this and fix-a-that
And you'll surmise
No more alibis
Why did you not win?"
"Maybe because I'm gay and the world hates me." Marvin's snide comments went unheard since it was just him and the TV.
"What once seemed boorish and hokey
Now seems incredibly okey-dokey
Don't give in
When you're feeling low?"
"When I'm feeling low? I'm always feeling low. There are no more highs. Happiness is only temporary."
"Maybe eat...spaghetti?"
"Spaghetti?"
"Just as long as you continue on
Every day you'll grow
You'll become more ready
To confront the dark before the dawn
When you want to quit
'Cause nothing works"
Trina, Mendel, and Jason appeared on the TV singing with Mr. Bungee. "What the f-" Marvin sat forward.
"Don't give in"
"Maybe I'm finally losing it." Marvin rubbed his eyes, not believing what he was seeing.
"Quitting is the specialty of jerks, Marvin." Mr. Bungee began talking directly to him.
"Huh?"
"Don't give in." Jason stopped forward.
"What is happening?" Marvin looked at the empty beer bottles on the table. Maybe he was so drunk, he was hallucinating.
"Simply keep the focus on what lies ahead," Mr. Bungee spoke in a mocking tone.
"Don't play games." Trina crossed her arms.
"Don't play dead." Mendel smiled like an idiot.
"Dad, begin!" Jason began marching in place.
"Those who are marking time: wake up!" Mr. Bungee yelled.
"Wake up!" Trina joined him, getting closer to the camera.
"Wake up!" Jason jumped behind them.
"Wake up, Marvin!" Mendel's head nearly came out of the TV.
"Dad!"
"Marvin, sweetheart."
Marvin opened his eyes. He had fallen asleep on the couch. Mendel, Trina, and Jason stood over him. Mr. Bungee was still singing on the TV.
"Life is a cause that you have to take up
Don't give in
When you wanna quit 'cause nothing works
Quitting is the specialty of-"
Marv, are you feeling okay?" Trina asked, feeling his forehead.
"I'm- fine. Just- fine." He sat up.
"Are you sure?" Jason sat on the coffee table facing him. "I don't have to spend the night if-"
"No! I'm sorry. I just had a long day."
"Why are you watching Mr. Bungee's Fungee Time?" Mendel asked.
"Uh- I- I don't know. Maybe I fell asleep holding the remote and accidentally flipped to the channel." Marvin lied.
"Honey, you look exhausted." Trina sat next to him. "Is there anything you need me to do around the house?"
"No. I can manage."
"I'll clean this for you." Mendel grabbed the empty beer bottles.
"Thanks." He sighed.
"Have you eated anything today?" Trina asked.
"Uh-" He hadn't, but he asn't going to let her know that. "Yeah."
"Don't lie to me."
"I have! I promise. I am- taking care of myself." But he wasn't.
"Dad."
"I'm okay! I'm glad you're finally here." Marvin rustled Jason's hair realizing he was looking more like him. He looked at the TV for a moment and he could swear Mr. Bungee winked. "Actually- I am a little hungry. I'll order us pizza."
"I could cook." Trina offered.
"Didn't you and Mendel have dinner plans?" Jason asked.
"We can cancel them." Mendel walked back to the living room, putting his hands on Trina's shoulders.
"No. I couldn't ask you to. I mean-"
"Please, Marv." Trina looked at him, the sincerity in her eyes made his heart sink. He knew she saw through his lies. Perks of being married to her for twelve years.
"Are you sure?"
"Of course. Mendel and I will pick some things up at the supermarket and we'll be right back."
"Thank you."
"Anything for you." She got up from the couch and looked at Mendel.
"Do you want to play chess?" Jason asked. Marvin shook his head. He hadn't played chess since Whizzer's death.
"We'll be back." Trina kissed Jason's hair and gave Marvin a reassuring pat on his shoulder.
"Thank you." It was a whisper. Marvin felt like he was going to fall apart. Trina and Mendel left Jason and Marvin in the living room.
"We can keep watching Mr. Bungee. Like we used to." Jason looked at the TV. "Wow. He got old. Why is this show still on?"
"I don't know, but that sounds like a good idea." Marvin patted the couch and Jason sat next to him. For the first time in weeks, Marvin felt the faintest bit happy.
"So remember kids!" Mr. Bungee broke into a song again. A reprise to end the episode.
"Strange things happen more than you would guess
Don't give in
When life seems like an unforgiving mess
Don't give in
Things go wrong, you lose your way, but don't despair
Just play fair
And prepare to win
What once seemed wrong is soon righted
Miserable people become delighted
Don't give in."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are Basically the Same Person

I, a 21-year-old adult, is still a HUGE fan of the High School Musical franchise. In high school, had I been a better planner, I would have asked Lucas Grabeel to be my prom date. And even though I was older than most viewers, I did love Teen Beach Movie when it came out. In this post, I am going to explain how Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are basically the same person. Let's start at the beginning. You may know Zac Efron as Troy Bolton in the Disney Channel Original Movie (or DCOM), High School Musical and it's franchise. He is the attractive blue-eyed, protagonist of all three HSM movies. And I will admit that I was a huge fangirl for him in my youth. Honestly, now I can't stand him. But that's for another post. Zac portrayed Troy in all three HSM films, but he only sang in the last two. That's right. Zac Efron did not sing in the first HSM movie. That was the amazingly talented Drew Seeley whom I will love till the day I die. Similarly, Garrett Clayton pl

Is Marvin from Falsettos Abusive? And Why is He Such an Easy Character to Hate?

Is Marvin abusive? Short answer: yes. Long answer: You've come to the right place. "I love my tight-knit family. I love the way they cook linguine." Let's get this out of the way, this blog, as all of my blog posts are, is 100% my opinion. Unless stated directly that it is fact, this is all what's going on in my mind. Thoughts from a fangirl, if you will. Also I have to use Spotify to link the songs, because the entire 2016 revival cast album is not on YouTube and I know the revival album better than the original albums. Also this post is going to be long because I'm actually going through actual lines from the musical. I am going to try to sprinkle some photos into this post. "Lovers come and lovers go." Listen to "Marvin Hits Trina" on Spotify. Let's start with the most obvious: Marvin hits Trina after learning that she's going to marry Mendel. Where can you find this scene? In "Marvin Hits Trina". It'

That Time A President Conducted Meetings from the Toilet

Happy Monday! Another week ahead. This week's weird moment from history is how President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted meetings and interviews while on the toilet. I learned way too much about LBJ while doing research for this post and it is going to be a LONG time before I write another weird history post about him. But there will be at least another one in the future. Man was weird. Quick history lesson for my non-Americans who may not know who LBJ is. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the 36th President of the United States. He assumed the position following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He was president from 1963 til 1969. NOW if you're like me and you grew up with the rewatching the movie Forrest Gump over and over again your first introduction to LBJ might be when Forrest was being honored with the Medal of Honor and showed the president where he was "shot in the buttocks" during the Vietnam War.  I haven't watched Forrest Gump in years, but if you haven't